Monday, April 22, 2013

The hills have white Elephants


The Hills have White Elephants
This novel was interesting to read. I really wanted to know the outcome of the ending as to whether she would have her baby or not. The novel had many symbols to represent different meanings. I researched the meaning of a white elephant and many things popped up. I read that in certain cultures such as Buddhist, believe that a white elephant is the beginning of a new life or wealth or many other things. The beginning of a new life convinced me that in the end she probably had her baby. She was skeptical considering that the man threatened to leave her and all she wanted was happiness. The novel talks about the suitcase having many postcard stickers which may have meant they enjoyed to travel. The novel also refers to the guy as “The Man” and the female as “The Girl” which may have meant that they had a huge difference in age. It might have also meant that she could have been his mistress considering that he would never live with her or go home to her. In the end I believe that she kept the baby. She states “There’s nothing wrong with me. I feel fine.” I feel as though she was telling the man that there is nothing wrong with her being pregnant and that she will be fine whether he is with her or not.  

2 comments: