Monday, April 22, 2013

The cask of Amontillado


The Cask of Amontillado
In my opinion, I felt as though the theme for this novel was loyalty. There was a lot of betrayal in this novel. In the beginning I was confused as to what was going on because I didn’t understand why he would want to trap his friend down in the cellar to die. Fortunato was a manipulative man that convinced Amontillado to go down to the cellar for wine. He knew that was his weakness, he knew that he loved wine. Once Fortunato got him down to the cellar, he built a wall that would trap him and eventually kill him. This opened my eyes to a lot of things. It made me realize that not everyone is your friend. What you see on the outside may not be what it really is in the inside. They may tell you one thing but may mean another. I related to this novel in a way because I was once betrayed by a friend and it just made me become more cautious when it came to people. I am convinced that Fortunato is revengeful. In the beginning Amontillado made a comment and Fortunato was offended by it which forced him to act upon his anger. I do not agree that it is okay to seek revenge on anyway, but instead forgive them for their mistake and move on with your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment